Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Multicultural Festival

One of the highlights of the year is the annual Multicultural Festival. It's held in my city, and generally used to be about 10 days long. Now it runs over a weekend (Friday - Sunday) due to the government reducing the budget for it. Damn government officials! *shakes fist* Ruining all our fun.


Anyways the two "events" (as I'll call them ) which are the favourites are the Food and Drink day/evening, and the Latin Night festival. This year they combined the two different events into the one day. Now as much as I love going to both these things, it felt like too much to do it on the one day. BUT, I did still have fun, for the amount of time I was there.


Everywhere there are stalls, on one strip contains all the different cultures and some tradition foods (lot's of Asian, African, pacific islander, and European food) with people packed either standing around chatting (it's a small city, you bump into people you know), lining up to get some food or watching performances on the many stages. Sometimes the performances are not even on the stages, people gather into a circle as the play music on the street.


Some of the music I saw was lots of African drums, along with dancers. And I must say they are amazing! So much energy goes into the dances, and they always are happy and cheerful. Saw a few performances actually, one as below:




Also saw some Bolivian guys playing instruments and singing.




Then there was the food. I ended up getting a completo from the Chilean stand (hotdog), some loukoumades from the Greek stall, and some Paella and Sangria from the Spanish stall.








Every year, one of my favourite foods to get are the Dutch Pancakes. Seriously, every single person is out to get a plate. They are amazing! Unfortunately this year, The Boyfriend took a look at the line and flat out refused to wait in it (generally was about a half hour wait).




This is what I recall him saying:


"There's no way they're actually THAT good"


I beg to differ.


Anyways, apart from not being able to get my favourite food, I had a good time. I cannot wait to experience it all next year!


Until then

No comments:

Post a Comment