Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Morbid Topics

Checking in on my twitter page yesterday I found that some of the authors I follow were sending their condolences for the death of Sara Douglass, an Australian fantasy author. I haven't read any of her works, but for me it's always sad to hear about the death of someone. Doesn't matter who they are.

While I was there, I was bought to attention a post she had written in regards to death and how we as a society do not know how to deal with it. It's called The Silence of the Dying and it talks about her own experiences with dealing with death after being diagnosed with ovarian cancer.

Many of the items that Sara brought up are true; we don't know how to deal with someone when they have a chronic illness, holding our attention for a few weeks then forgetting about them and going back to our own lives. How does this make the one who is sick feel? On top of that, they have to reassure the well-bodied friends and family and appear to be strong whilst privately wishing to fall apart. It would be tough.

It's an interesting read as it makes you stop and assess your own behaviour towards others. I know I need to improve mine and reach out to others more often.

Lastly, here are some thoughts on my own death. I do not wish to die alone. Also I would like to know that I will be missed, so when I'm on my deathbed please go ahead and cry hysterically. Curse the world and shake your fist. I'll be happy to know I matter.

Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment